Thursday 11 February 2016

VALENTINE'S DAY MENU

February. Oh, February! The month of love is here.

With Valentine's Day only a couple of days away it is time to start thinking about what you will be doing on the day. Are you going out? Are you ordering in? Or will you just carry on as if it is not Valentine's Day? When we first met I was living in Germany and my now husband was just visiting a friend for a couple of days. It was a love of first sight (we met in the middle of summer). Over the next year we went to Paris together, he came to Bulgaria for New Year, I went to England for some much wanted sightseeing and meeting his parents. Somehow his work schedule did not allow him to come and see me on Valentine's Day. So we talked on the phone for about 5 hours that day. The following year we got engaged and I moved over here. However, I had to go back to the Germany to finish my exams and I flew back on ... yes, you guessed it, Valentine's Day! Hubby had told me he would meet me at Waterloo as he couldn't get time off work to come and collect me from the airport. I went through security and remember looking out for the train ticket office. All of a sudden my name was called. I turned around and there he was - standing tall and as handsome as ever with the most beautiful bunch of dark red roses. It was the best Valentine's Day ever. Slowly over the years the novelty of the day however, seemed to have worn off. We were married, living happily with our two cats - did we really need to celebrate our love on a particular day? I'd like to think we celebrate our love most days!
But we have always tried to make this day special in one way or another - last year he drew me a bath and cooked whilst I was soaking in the most aromatic bubbles ever. The year before I took him out for the day and did things I absolutely hate but he absolutely loves. (no, now its not the time for me to elaborate). This year it is on a Sunday so we have decided to take the kids out for the day. We have not decided about dinner just yet.
If you however, would like to surprise your loved one with a home cooked meal these are some ideas I have put together for you.

Starters:
 

If you love mushrooms, make this! All you need is a couple of flat Portobello mushrooms, 1 egg and some cheese. Wipe the mushrooms with a kitchen towel to remove any dirt. Discard the stalks. Beat the egg lightly, grate some cheese and mix. Brush the top of the mushrooms with some oil and put on a baking tray. Top the mushrooms with the mix and bake in the oven 30-45 minutes until cooked through. (Time will depend on the size of the mushrooms).

If you don't like mushrooms, make a light salad. Mozzarella balls, avocado and plum tomatoes - simple and delicious. Drizzle some virgin olive oil on top and season lightly. Yum!


Main:

My Butternut Squash and Bacon quiche is the perfect dinner - you can make it in advance and simply reheat in the oven before serving.
For vegetarians : Cime di rapa Lasagne is the thing to make. Again, make the day before and reheat before serving.


Desserts:

Cookie dough pots
 


 or if you are not feeling like eating chocolate - Angel Food Cake.
To make this cake extra special dot some pink or red food colouring in the icing  and there you have it - a lovely pink cake to go with the lovely Day of Love.
Whatever you decide to do have fun and enjoy yourselves.

XoXo

Desi in the Kitchen
 

No comments:

Post a Comment