Friday 27 November 2015

BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND BACON QUICHE

Yes, me again making a quiche.
I simply cannot resist them. Besides it has been at least 10 days since I last baked one. It is the season of the squash after all so I always seem to have one in the kitchen. Since my baking disaster the other day I fancied using some Bulgarian white cheese too. My original aim was to make a simple roasted squash and cheese quiche. Whilst the squash was roasting I suddenly remembered I had some bacon that had to be used. Urgently. I did not have enough eggs to make quiche Lorraine so I wondered
what would happen if combined with the squash.
OMG! This is probably the BEST flavour combination I have ever had - the rich sweetness of the roasted butternut squash against the salty crispy bacon, backed up by the Bulgarian cheese..... YUM. YUM. YUM. It was so tasty I just had to share my recipe with you straight away.
If you don't believe me try it out for yourself!

Here is my recipe (feeds 4)

Shortcrust pasty
150gr bacon
1 small butternut squash
100-150 gr Bulgarian cow's cheese or Greek salad cheese
2 eggs
150 ml double cream
1 small leak
some grated cheddar
rosemary


Method:

Find out how to make your shortcrust pastry here.

Whilst your pastry is chilling in the fridge peel and dice the squash.  Spread in a single layer in your roasting tin, oil lightly and put it in the hot oven. (Temperature should be around 180C). It only needs about 20-25 minutes, you want it just soft.
Cut the bacon into chunks and fry until crispy. Take out of the pan and add the finely chopped leak. On low to medium heat cook for about 10 minutes, stirring often - you don't want it to catch.

Combine the squash with the bacon and leak in a bowl. Once it has cooled add the crumbled white cheese to it. (For those of you who wonder what Bulgarian cheese is - it is a light, soft white cheese made from cow's milk. It has an active bacteria to keep your gut healthy. It is delicious. I bring some every time I go back home. It can be found in some Turkish/Polish/Eastern European shops.)
 
In another bowl beat the eggs lightly, add the cream and some salt. I did not use pepper this time, it just did not feel right. Add some grated cheddar to it (you may skip this but I found it really enriched the quiche).
Once your base is cooked and looks crispy put the filling in and pour the wet mix over it. Sprinkle with loads of dried rosemary
 
and cook in the preheated oven at 180C for 30 minutes (or at least a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean). Leave to cool in the tin for about 5 minutes then carefully take out and transfer to a cooling rack for another 5.
It is best served hot so eat straight away accompanied by a light salad.


What is your favourite quiche?

XoXo
Desi in the Kitchen
 

2 comments:

  1. My favorite quiche is kebabche and kyufte, rolled in a thin pork steak, wrapped in sour cabbage leaf and all that is stuffed in a roasted turkey, If you say this is not a quiche, ask Google. If the search is empty, inform Google team about the bug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take it we are invited to your house this Christmas? :)

      Delete